[RE-wrenches] SolarMount-I

Bruce Erickson msolar at mcn.org
Tue May 17 13:32:50 PDT 2011

Hi All,

	What experiences have people had with Unirac's I-beam rail system? (Formerly known as Click-sys I believe.) We're looking into trying it out, but have some questions. For one, it's touted as being significantly faster to install, but looking at the product data, I having trouble identifying where all that labor savings comes from. With the 2-1/2" beam one could span farther, potentially, but that's dependent on the wind loading allowing fewer attachments. Also, how could one level the rails? I don't see any adjustment ability, except maybe some type of shim between the QuickMount block and the flange foot. Stacks of stainless washers? I wouldn't want to blow a rail system on faster only to have the array look less professional.
	My other hesitation is the idea of a snap-in connection between the flange foot and the rail. In my mind, nothing is more positive than a through-bolt and threaded connections. How about lateral grab/flexibility? With a bolt in a rail slot, the rail can be adjusted sideways during assembly and then the nut tightened up when things are squared up the way you want. Does the flange foot give you some lateral movement, and if so, what keeps it in place permanently? Just friction? How easy is it to un-click the connection?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Erickson
Mendocino Solar Service
PO Box 1252