[RE-wrenches] Solar Pool Heat and DHWPermit Costs and Inspections

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon May 16 06:52:43 PDT 2011

Dear Wrenches,

I have a meeting scheduled with a local jurisdiction that charges
substantially more for permitting and inspections than other AHJ's. Any
idea where I can get national statistics on permit costs for solar water
heating?

Also, what is your jurisdiction doing for plan review and inspections?
For this particular AHJ, we have a master plan on file, and they charge
us for two inspections - structural and plumbing. They recently started
charging for plan review on each job, despite the master plan. Permit
costs are around 15% of system price - not exactly "Sunshine State"
friendly.

Jason Szumlanski

Fafco Solar