[RE-wrenches] SMA High AC Voltage vs MPP

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu May 12 09:27:56 PDT 2011

Hello Wrenches,

Using the Sunny Design tool, I got a message saying the design was
conditionally compatible.  The message said:

"In case of increased grid voltage, the operating point of the PV
generator may slightly deviate from its MPP if the module temperature
is high.  This design can therefore only be recommended if the
expected average grid voltage at the inverter will not exceed the
value used in the calculation."

The SMA tech rep I talked to thought the design was good, but
couldn't really answer the questions I had.  These are:
    * What is the design AC voltage?
        * Is it 240 VAC or the maximum voltage the inverter allows,
which is 264 VAC?
        * There is no input for design AC voltage.
    * Why does the max AC voltage affect the MPP at high temperature?
        * Since it apparently does, how much does it affect it?
    * If the grid voltage got to 250 VAC, would that be a problem?
        * I see that range pretty regularly around here.
Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
ATHENS ELECTRIC