[RE-wrenches] Single phase to three phase interconnect

Eric Thomas solarepiphany at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:01:20 PDT 2011

While commercial solar work is newer to me, im surprised this hasn't been
addressed very much in our forum: Interconnecting single phase inverters to
three phase services. We are laying out a 6kW system using Silicon Energy
Cascade modules and Aurora PVI inverters (either 2 or 3 PVI 3.0's). The
challenge is finding a way to easily tie two of these inverters into the
existing 3phase service. I've been reading up on Sunny Boys tech notes and
on this forum about imbalance and such, but im still not comfortable enough
with tie in. Due to the string configuration options, I can add a third
inverter and use a three phase subpanel to aggregate the inverters then tie
them in. But adding a third inverter seems like a goofy solution. In looking
at available equipment, transformers, phase converters etc, I can't seem to
find the right fit. Any ideas?

This system does not have a three phase inverter option due to Made in WA
req's.

Thanks!

Eric Thomas
Solar Epiphany LLC