[RE-wrenches] Financial Analysis Tools

Aaron Mandelkorn reosolar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 08:34:47 PDT 2011

Hello everyone.  This question goes out to the contractors that deal with rebate structures that use a performance based incentive like the new Xcel solar rewards program.  I am finding it difficult to compute the performance based incentive (.40 cents per kilowatt hour of production) into the RetScreen financial analysis tool and am wondering how others are dealing with this complication and what kinds of financial analysis tools allow for the input of this kind of performance based incentive.  Since the PBI is not a up front rebate but rather a monthly payout based on production over time it is difficult to input this into the program.  If I take the PBI and add up the amount over the ten year period and put it into the program as a lump sum it throws off the payback timeline. There is just no option for a performance based incentive in the program.  How do you all deal with an incentive of this kind and what kinds of financial analysis tools do you all use to best represent a rebate of this kind. Thanks.

Aaron Mandelkorn
Renewable Energy Outfitters
P.O. Box 65
Salida CO 81201