[RE-wrenches] 2 volt Trojan RE series L16 Batteries

Rich Nicol rich at solartechvt.com
Wed Apr 20 12:03:49 PDT 2011

RE Wrenches

My question regards a system (installed by homeowner / friend) where they
recently upgraded their t105 battery bank to Trojan RE series L16 2 volt
cells.  The battery bank consists of 6 batteries in series for a 12 volt
system.  The interconnects are 12" long 4/0 cables with crimped and soldered
lugs.  Main cables are 6' long 4/0 cables.

The first issue is high terminal temperature during periods of heavy draw
(~100 amps @ 12v when water pump is on).  Due to the issue the owner has
been only running the water pump when charging the batteries with his
generator since the transfer switch on the Outback inverter has transferred
his household circuits from the battery bank to the generator.  Obviously
this is an inconvenience. Before the end of life on his T105's he had no
issues with the 6 volt cells in series/parallel using only #2 AWG
interconnects.

Most recently he's experienced an issue where the inverter will not come on
at all and when attempted to come by switching on his main DC breaker  the
voltage at the batteries sags from 12.5 to ~5V!  This issue is not with the
inverter since I loaned him a back up Trace DR I keep around as a loaner but
it too would not come on and voltage sagged as well.  This sag is with no
demand since it sags immediately when the DC breaker is switched on when
connected to the inverter even though the inverter has not been switched on.

I stopped by this AM to check out the situation, specific gravity of all
cells is good, open circuit voltage on each cell is matched at 2.12  volts.
The battery bank is only about 4 months old.

Battery specs:

2 volt, Rated Capacity @ 5 Hr rate=909 AH, 20 hr rate = 1110 AH, 100 hr rate
= 1235.

Thanks for your help!