[RE-wrenches] Pole Mounts - Frost/Conduit & Ledge

Rich Nicol rich at solartechvt.com
Sat Apr 16 07:55:24 PDT 2011

Hi RE-Wrenches

1.       When installing pole mounts I have been running conduit into the
side of the foundation and up the pole prior to pouring concrete.  The
conduit enters the foundation ~ 18" to 24" below grade level.  We live in an
area where frost depths are around 48" deep.  I have been told by folks in
the construction industry that frost will not be problem with the conduit
entry but I remain concerned that the conduit may be lifted, while the
foundation which runs to below the frost depth, remains stationary thereby
breaking the conduit.  Any insights?

2.       Secondly, does anyone have experience with ledge in respect to pole
mounts.  I know the answer is to consult an engineer, but I thought I would
bring it up to the experienced folks in the trade first.  I have two mounts
scheduled for this spring where I expect to hit ledge.  The first is a TPM
with six 230 watt modules and the second is with eight 230 watt modules.
I'm expecting ledge to be relatively close to grade level, perhaps around 12
to 24" deep.  Ledge in these locations is solid (generally granite,
sometimes gneiss or basalt).  My initial thought is to form a larger
rectangular foundation with pins drilled at 45 deg angles into the ledge and
tied to the reinforcing within the foundation.  A wide base on the pole
would then be bolted to the foundation.  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Rich