[RE-wrenches] Panduit C-TAP (now crimping tools and taps)

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Tue Mar 29 10:33:08 PDT 2011

Hi Carl -

I've attached the Wrenches list here because it seems like info others might
be interested in

Yes, the CT-1700 is a good choice for smaller crimps common on most
residential work. Also, we've since switched over to sourcing Greenlee tools
because they are cheaper and easier to source. You might check out the
Greenlee K111:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-K111-Crimping-Tool-8-1/dp/B000LDNV1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1301418941&sr=8-1

Also, for bigger more heavy duty crimps the K425 works great:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-K425O-Crimping-Tool-Grooves/dp/B00125IZJU

You need to purchase dies for the K425 whereas the K111 has a rotating die.
Also, the K425 works with aluminum to copper connections which come up from
time to time when you're trying to do an irreversible splice between the
solar GEC and the existing building GEC run in aluminum.

This Burndy connector catalog takes a while to load:

http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent//fci/documentation/2010_mc_section_c-compression_connectors.pdf<http://ecat.burndy.com/Comergent/fci/documentation/2010_mc_section_c-compression_connectors.pdf>

Page C-100 shows the thin wall taps compatible with the K111. Page C101
shows the thick wall taps compatible with the K425. Page C124 has copper to
aluminum taps - these will impress your inspector!

There are also other manufacturers but I've found that these parts are easy
to get a hold of and can at least be used for reference numbers if your
supplier carries another line. Any other wrenches out there like other
similar products?

Happy crimping!

-August

PS: once you start using these you won't believe you lived without them

August Goers

Luminalt Energy Corporation

1320 Potrero Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94110