[RE-wrenches] Depth of discharge

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Mar 25 12:48:50 PDT 2011

Friends:

I am using a modified version of the Dankoff load chart (with credit given)
to calculate off-grid loads.  There is a section where you enter the
maximum depth of discharge (DOD) for a battery bank.  It is my
understanding that the maximum DOD for a lead acid battery bank is 50%.

Is this correct in concept?

Is this a correct value to enter in this cell?

Thanks,

William Miller

PS:  I called Ronald Parades at Trojan before this e-mail was sent and here
is what he said:  He recommends 20%-30% DOD.  Any greater DOD results in
shorter battery life.  He noted that in many approaches a design criteria
of multi-day autonomy which is rarely or never used actually calculates
into the final AH result as a virtual decrease in DOD.

Wm

Miller Solar
Voice :805-438-5600
email: william at millersolar.com