[RE-wrenches] rafter locating tools

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Sun Mar 13 11:18:42 PDT 2011

I've had several roof installs lately that locating the rafters was not all
that easy: older roofs, without prints, rafters spaced at irregular spacing,
layers of shingles, etc which made it hard to use traditional methods
(hammer / feel,  removing trim). Has anyone used a heavy-duty scanner such
as the Bosch Wallscanner D-tect 150? I guess Milwaukee makes something
similar also. Or perhaps thermograghy? Fluke makes a nice thermal imaging
handheld. Thanks. These tools are not cheap.

Kirk Herander

Vermont Solar Engineering

802.863.1202  fax 802.863.7908

VT RE Incentive Program  Partner