[RE-wrenches] Spot welding PV's to rails for theft prevention: bad idea?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Fri Mar 4 11:22:07 PST 2011

Hello, we mounted some PV onesy modules as high as we could reach without a
man-lift, but an enterprising thief could reach just as high. The "side of
pole" mounts hold the bolt heads captive so I bought some aluminum
"breakaway" nuts. However the nuts have a big diameter which would not fit
inside the Kyocera PV frames.

Has anyone tried spot welding the PV frames direct to the aluminum rails to
which they are mounted? Would this over stress the glass laminate or cause
other problems? I realize this would void the Kyo warranty but nothing voids
system performance like a stolen PV module.

Happy Friday,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675