[RE-wrenches] Home Brew Frequency Switch

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Tue Mar 1 09:19:32 PST 2011

Folks,

I am back on the project where I want to install grid tied inverters
(Enphase) on a feeder located downstream of a generator and ATS.

I have considered using a drop out contactor to isolate the inverters from
the generator following a loss of line voltage.

As an alternative, how well might it work to reset the generator frequency
so that it is outside the inverter range? In this way the inverter would
always see the generator as "bad" energy and therefore would never connect
to the generator, only the utility.

The nominal frequency range for the inverter is 59.3 to 60.5.

What is the effect on the loads in the household if the generator frequency
is adjusted to say 58 or 62 hertz? Would the higher or lower number be
better? Would this fry everything in the house? I can't see that making a
relatively small change like this would effect the overall impedance such
that a problem with current capacities would be a problem. It seems like the
frequency would be more of a problem for some devices.

Anyone have experience with deliberately adjusting generator frequency away
from 60 hertz as described above?

Mark Frye
Berkeley Solar Electric Systems
303 Redbud Way