[RE-wrenches] Snow Removal Strategies (was PV Reference System)

Rob Harlan mendosol at mcn.org
Tue Jan 4 23:02:22 PST 2011

We can set modules at 68 degrees (latitude + 15) and it increases (but does
not completely takes care of) snow shedding. Although the winters here are
typically sunny, temperatures below 0F are common through the winter with
dips as low -40F. There are approx. 86 days of snow cover.  In Edmonton on a
6in12 pitch (27 degrees) roof, snow on modules doesn't shed until the
ambient rises to 28F on a sunny day. With no manual snow removal an array at
6in12 takes about a 14% annual performance hit.

A lot of the city dwellers here set their arrays flush with the roof for
aesthetic reasons so we are hoping to develop a reference system that
provides data from various angles with and without snow removal.

A tracker on each reference module that dumps periodically would certainly
aid snow shedding but probably wouldn't address ice build up.  A little
"heating pad" to periodically bring the module up to 28F when there is snow
cover + sun would probably do it but it would have to be designed to not
insulate the modules when the pad is not needed.

Elevating the rack to allow for snow build up is important - also
engineering for the accumulated dead load at the base of the "snow fence".

Thanks for your thoughts. I am hoping that the wheel has already been
invented and tested.  Interesting challenge...
Rob
Rob Harlan
Executive Director
Solar Energy Society of Alberta