[RE-wrenches] cleaning modules

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Thu Dec 30 11:06:41 PST 2010

If your rust (iron oxide) problem is a tough one, I have a great “rust
remover”. It’s called “Naval Jelly” and its pretty powerful stuff (contains
phosphoric acid). Use rubber gloves, and in the case of a thin layer of
rust, you could dilute it with water. It will attack paint and probably
anodized Al frames as well.

Undiluted, the stuff is a gel so it can be applied to a sloping surface.

The iron oxide gets converted to iron phosphate which is water soluble and
washes off.

The nice thing about Nava Jelly is it is non-abrasive and it removes the
iron oxide via a chemical process. In other words it doesn't affect glass,
which leads me to my next point.

Over the past ten years there has been a series of manufacturing
improvements to PV modules. Fairly recently, PV module manufacturers have
been applying a very thin dielectric layer to the top surface of the
tempered, low-iron glass. This anti-reflective (AR) layer is extremely thin
and some cleaning solutions and mild abrasives will attack the layer. Even
fingerprints can attack the layer. I suspect that Naval Jelly will attack
the AR coating.

I haven’t researched any of the “cleaning agents” that are on the market
that are supposed to be used with PV modules, but I would be very cautious
of using anything but a very mild detergent with PV modules with an AR
coating.

In the case of Tom DeBates situation, the modules probably don’t have an AR
coating and either naval Jelly or a mild abrasive (that doesn’t scratch
glass) should work.

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885