[RE-wrenches] Trace inverters undercharging batteries.

James Surrette james at surrette.com
Wed Dec 29 07:29:14 PST 2010

Hi Jesse,

Hope the fish are biting!

Your client will have an issue of determining SOC if she dumped and replaced the acid - as this will provide artificially high SG readings.

If the batteries froze, the batteries had to be discharged, which means there is a significant amount of lead sulfate on the plates (suspect much of which is crystalized).

The only course of action - that I can think of - would be to charge the bank until the SG stop rising.  Given the age of the bank (12yrs) not an incredible amount of harm done as assume the bank is reaching the end of useful life but getting a few more years is always a benefit.

Given the temperature and age of the bank, I would recommend the client charge at EQ settings (60-64v) until the SG stops rising and is stable for 30mins and / or current drops below 5A.

Suspect you will see SG readings >1.300.  Once you have a reading, please advise and we can provide you with quantity of acid to remove & water to add to return to 1.265.

Regards,

Jamie

>>> Jesse Dahl <dahlsolar at gmail.com> 12/29/2010 9:34 AM >>>

Wrenches,

There is a MX60 charge controller with the system, 2 trace inverters, and ten BP modules.  Not sure the wattage of the modules.... There was no way to get to the roof and and check.  I have only been there once, it was in October.  The array was partially shaded at 1:45pm......

The batteries (rolls 6V) are the original batteries (12 years old....) some have visibly bulged from the freezing. There are 16 batteries, 4 sets of 4.(24 volts).

The cables were a problem in my opinion.  When I was there, only 8 batteries were being used.  So there were disconnected cables in the battery room.  Cable lengths varied from bank to bank, and they were just run across the floor.

I will post some photos that I took later today.  And more generator information, I'm in my fish house right now and don't have my camera!!!!

Thanks for the help,

Jesse

Sent from my iPad!!!