[RE-wrenches] Low grid voltage fix

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 20 20:24:41 PST 2010

Dan,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have been using the 108 VAC default setting since 1998. I'll try 95 VAC.

It is interesting to hear other wrenches comment on utility low and high voltage. Power factor control is another challenge for some utility companies. On the other hand, they hold the RE industry to very tight power quality standards. I have tried to get Los Angeles Department of Water & Power (LADWP) and Southern California Edison (SCE) to keep their voltage within spec and improve their power factor. Their responses are similar to asking City Hall to fix potholes in the road. Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't get a round tuit for a while. SCE power is generally ok except in old neighborhoods with wires and transformers over 40 years old. Forget about LADWP. They are off on another planet. The smaller municipal utilities in southern California are pretty good at managing power quality. Fortunately, today's inverters can be adjusted manually. Perhaps some day inverters and loads will self-compensate for less than stellar grid power quality.

Happy Holidays!
Joel Davidson