[RE-wrenches] Battery based hydrogen incidents

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 16 20:22:10 PST 2010

Here's a true story about another foolish but lucky guy. My Arkansas Ozark Mountain neighbor had a big 115 VDC windcharger and a battery bank of large 2-volt cells inside a shed at the base of his 85 feet tower. One day he opened the door with a smoke in his mouth. The H2 (not the batteries) exploded, rocketing him out the door, and knocking him on his ass. He was a big, strong guy and didn't get hurt, but he swore he would never smoke around batteries again. (Preventive action - ventilate battery room before entering.)