[RE-wrenches] Battery based hydrogen incidents

Warren Lauzon warren at wind-sun.com
Thu Dec 16 08:04:02 PST 2010

I think you are bringing up a very important point here – nearly all of the battery related explosions we have seen or heard of, and nearly all the ones described in all the various posts here recently have one common theme – that the BATTERY exploded. Some or most were probably related to Hydrogen gas – in the very small space inside a battery, pretty easy to get to the 4% LEL limit. And aside from the possibility of a cigarette setting it off, static or any other spark could also do so. But something else to note is that it seems that clogged battery caps are a much bigger danger than not venting your battery shed.