[RE-wrenches] Battery based hydrogen incidents

Joel Davidson joel.davidson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 16:51:28 PST 2010

I have sold thousands of off-grid PV systems and hundreds of on-grid PV systems with batteries. In 1984, one customer located 30 miles north of New Orleans with an off-grid PV system and T-105 batteries reported that a battery exploded. The cause was a clogged cell cap vent that trapped H2 that was ignited by transient current from a nearby lightning strike (that also destroyed his charge controller). About 6 months later another nearby lightning strike fried another controller. The PV array was a few hundred feet from the home. The owner wired the PV array and home equipment ground rods together and made sure that cap vent holes were kept clean. Subsequent lightning storms caused no problems.

The only exploded battery that I actually saw was also in the 1980s at a Sears service station. An automobile battery had exploded and tore a hole in the car engine hood.

Joel Davidson