[RE-wrenches] feed-in imbalance

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 15:38:03 PST 2010

Jamie,

The 6kVA imbalance limit, as you point out, is for 120V/240 split phase services, not 3-phase. It comes from California’s Rule 21 interconnection rules adopted by each California utility. As the technical facilitator of the development of Rule 21, I had a lot to do with the 6kVA number. It was based on the largest 120-Volt inverter that could be placed on the smallest available service. It JUST happened to coincide with the size of my Trace Engineering SW5500 inverter—funny how that works out.

Bill.