[RE-wrenches] To insulate a battery bank

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 14:11:49 PST 2010

Hello Wrenches:
    I have always insulated my battery boxes (or the battery room).   I have
built hundreds of battery boxes, and insulated them all with 1-1/2" rigid foam.
I have never seen the foam deteriorate, with 15+ years experience on many
sites.  As you know, the capacity of the batteries is much lower when the
batteries get cold, so adding insulation will certainly improve the performance
of the battery.
    Unfortunately, I have seen thermal runaway occur on one battery bank in
2002, but that was due to other circumstances. However, the insulation probably
didn't help the batteries cool, in that one instance.  When I got to the site,
the generator had been running for 3 very hot days, continuously pumping current
into DRY batteries that should have been flooded.  The batteries had begun to
melt, and some had become blobs of maroon plastic.  Those L-16s were only five
years old at the time.
Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537