[RE-wrenches] Code reference needed

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 08:36:28 PST 2010

Hello all,

I may be able to shed some light on this.

The perceived minimum height requirement isn't mandated
in the context being discussed, but instead but likely
has its roots in UL1741 Section 61.3.2, which outlines
the requirements for the "Sprinkler test".  Text excerpted
below:

61.3 Sprinkler test

61.3.1 A unit required to be subjected to a sprinkler test
is to be tested as described in 61.3.2 and 61.3.3.

61.3.2 An outdoor ground-mounted unit is to be turned about
its vertical axis to each of four positions 90 degrees from
each other, each for 30 minutes during the 2-hour portion of
of the test described in 61.1.3, with adjustable parts arranged
for maximum vulnerability to the water spray. Wall-mounted units
intended for mounting within 914 mm (3 feet) of the ground, are
to be similarly tested in the most vulnerable normal mounting
position.

61.3.3 The unit is to be positioned as shown in Figure 61.3 in
front of a standard water spray head of the type shown in Figure
61.2, to which the water pressure is maintained at a gage pressure
of 138 kPa (20 psi).

The key aspect of Section 61.3 is found in 61.3.2:
"Wall-mounted units intended for mounting within 914 mm (3 feet)
of the ground are to be similarly tested in the most vulnerable
normal mounting position."

... "intended for mounting within 914 mm (3 feet) of the ground..."

If a manufacturer states in their installation instructions
a unit is to be mounted *more* than 3 feet above the ground,
this relaxes the sprinkler test requirements as noted above.

This in turn decreases testing time, reduces testing costs,
and reduces the possibility of a test unit failing (in this
case by getting water inside).  All it takes are a few words
in the installation manual requiring the unit be mounted more
than 3 feet above the ground.

Dan
Sr. Engineer
Exeltech