[RE-wrenches] outdoor disconnects on multiple buildings

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Mon Nov 22 08:30:41 PST 2010

I think that if you have the 705.10 directory showing the disconnect
locations (a directory at each location), you'd be OK per NEC. I think
this question is likely one to ask your utility- the language may be in
your interconnection agreement and you likely already know how flexible
utilities aren't when it comes to minor changes to their interconnection
agreement... I imagine that the utility would require you to have an
additional 5kW PV disconnect there at the service entrance, adjacent to
the 20kW disconnect, but that they wouldn't require you to combine them
into a single disconnect. Maybe it would still make sense for you to do
that- since I imagine you have a combining panel in the main building,
why not bring the 30A breaker from the out building and land it in that
panelboard with the 15A breakers from the 20kW?

FYI, Jeff Sargent at the NFPA doesn't consider PV to be a separate
service based on "the permission to connect a PV system on the line side
of the service disconnecting means per 230.82(6)." So with this, these
two wouldn't count against the maximum six disconnects- just in case
that's an issue you're running into as well.

Hope that helps.
DKC