[RE-wrenches] low batteries with a sunny island

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Nov 17 19:19:27 PST 2010

C40 charge controllers used to have that problem too; if battery voltage dropped so low that it didn't think it had a battery to charge, the whole system just sits there crashed, batteries sulfating, sun shining....(customer stewing....)
I'd just charge them on a 12 v automotive charger, 2 at a time. You can attach the leads to any 12 volts of series connected batteries, without having to disconnect all the cables. I would remove the main pos cable though.
I've even jumped my truck to the battery bank before with jumper cables, just be careful and check your charge rate with an amp meter. Heat and gas from a dead cell in a sealed battery can blow the top right off the battery! You might just need 30 minutes per 12 v set. (2 Hrs total?)
When you get each battery up close to 6 v, you can probably get the system back up on the Sunny boy, unless any of the batteries have dead cells (won't charge over 4 or 5 volts per 6 v battery)
If that's the case, you should consider replacing the whole set. My understanding is that AGMs don't like to sit for long periods of time completely discharged. If they're not toast already, they definitely have just had their life severely shortened.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer