[RE-wrenches] Another PV fire

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sun Nov 14 18:40:39 PST 2010

Colleagues:

Below is from a local building official.  This is very preliminary so take
it as such:

William Miller

 From what I've been told the fire was located in one of
the combiner boxes. It started as they were commissioning the system. We
had completed our final inspection and their electrical contractor had done
an insulation resistance test on all conductors.  No modules were involved.
Ground faults do not appear to be the cause of the fire but there is a
possibility of miss marked and/or installed positive/negative output
conductors. The system design has three 12 string combiners per  pull box.
There are approximately 2,500 modules total for the 650 kW system. The
engineering team at Bright Power is currently investigating the cause of
the fire. I'll let you know what they discover.