[RE-wrenches] Another PV fire

Nick Soleil nicksoleilsolar at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 16:50:28 PST 2010

    Was that fire isolated to the array, or did it spread to the building too?
    I have seen so many j-boxes were a connection has come loose, then arcs.
This is particularly true of systems with wirenuts.  If enough sunlight is
present, and the wires begin to arc, then the arc could travel out of the box,
and start a fire.

    I have serviced many modules that have failed, and found melted j-boxes and
cables melted off the backs of panels.  Recently, I pulled a module off of a
roof, and nearly half the module's backing was blackened and charred.  Many of
those failures could have lead to a fire.

    We are all at risk of this happening.

 Nick Soleil
Project Manager
Advanced Alternative Energy Solutions, LLC
PO Box 657
Petaluma, CA 94953
Cell:   707-321-2937
Office: 707-789-9537