[RE-wrenches] warranty liabilities

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 18:23:58 PDT 2010

Marco

Perhaps the offering to clients is workmanship and the actual product falls
under the domain of the manufacturer.

We all have folks that call saying their inverter is not working anymore and
less of a challenge with the panels having a short life.

If a client wants to be covered, look at the auto industry on how they address
repairs. If its under warranty, its covered. If not, its a cost to the end user.
Let them know this upfront, as this could be the difference between them going
with you and someone else.
Sure you could be out of biz in 1 year and offer a 5 year warranty, but putting
$ in an escrow account for this is standard and what manu's do- have a reserve
for the unfortunate events that plague products.
Since we offer more services and then products vs manus offer products and
generally less services, this is a way to look at the relationship with the
client base moving forward.

The warranty is also a bridge to your clients in the future for other services,
like energy efficiency and things we don't even know exist yet, or are on the
bleeding edge and almost ready for prime time, like storage. Storage will be the
holy grail, moving forward and having a conduit to the clients to tell them
about it can come via a warranty/maintenance relationship. I'm sure many of the
off grid wrenches have these relationships, as folks can have a tendency to
smoke their first sets of batteries and need TLC and guidance along the way.
This goes for the folks that want to live off grid, but might like to spend less
time being a power plant manager and focus on other aspects of life.

Without warranty-maintenance, we will have orphaned systems. Makes you wonder
today, how many systems are deployed and not functioning to their fullest
capabilities, doesn't it? Shame, as we have all indirectly paid for the systems
in the form of tax credits at the fed and state level, so we are part of the
problem and can be part of the solution.

Keith