[RE-wrenches] Are Thick Plate Batteries Worth the Price?

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Oct 29 18:46:24 PDT 2010

The large batteries as everyone else noted are definitely the way to go on off grid systems.
You are strengthening the weakest link.  However, consider 2 parallel strings.
I no longer consider a single string to be optimum, after having a large pump on a pair of Outback inverters cause low voltage shutdown with the batteries still at roughly 50% state of charge.
Also, a single cell failure will take out the entire system until you can get another one shipped in. This can take weeks if not over a month.
I just measured a 3 string set that is over 10 years old, and has been cycled hard. Cell voltages at rest were within 5%, and current flow under heavy load was within 5% as well.
Also, industrial batteries are not all created equal, after many years, I think the HUPs are the best. Just check cycle life, warranty, and previous wrench postings.
Finally, their interconnects can be unbolted, which allows the batteries to be disassembled for moving into tight spaces: a huge bonus.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer