[RE-wrenches] Charge Control in AC coupled system

Howie Michaelson howie at suncatchervt.com
Thu Oct 28 21:04:12 PDT 2010

Hi Ken,

I think I must be not seeing the forest or the trees.  Maybe I'm missing
something, but what I'm trying to do is get the most I can from the AC
coupled array (2.25 kW) while still protecting the batteries.  I can use
the relays in the inverters or in the FNDC to operate a contactor which
shuts down the SB using either voltage or SOC% readings and then leave the
DC coupled array (1kW) going through an MX60 to finish the charge.  I am
concerned that if I set the SunnyBoy to shut down at too low of a setting
then I will be throwing away a lot of useful power, but if I set if the AC
shut-off too hi then every time the battery bank drops below that high set
point the AC coupled array continues to charge the batteries whether they
need it or not. If this happens over an extended period of time, we run
the risk of overcharging the batteries.  Even if I have 3 diversion loads
set to kick on at successively higher voltages this does not appear to be
a fail-safe way of guarding against the chronic over charging of the
batteries.  Maybe I shouldn't worry about those unlikely scenarios, but
I'm wondering if there is an elegant way of mimicking a 3 stage Controller
which goes to some kind of "float" after the batteries are full.

I'm now thinking perhaps my best option is to utilize the SOC% relay
setting in the FNDC, and as long as the reading is accurate, I can set the
AC coupled array to shut off near 100%.  Does anyone have a more
bomb-proof way of utilizing the AC coupled array to it's fullest potential
while still keeping the battery bank healthy?

Thanks,
Howie
--
Howie Michaelson
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Sun Catcher, LLC
Renewable Energy Systems Sales and Service
VT Solar & Wind Incentive Program Partner
http://www.SunCatcherVT.com
(cell) 802-272-0004
(home) 802-439-6096