[RE-wrenches] 2011 NEC Code book with Handbook on CD ROM

Skip Towne gilligan06 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:22:43 PDT 2010

Gents,

The CD version beats the heck out of hardcopy for research, design guide,
and code-related correspondence. Searches are tricky and take patience. I
very rarely use the search function. The single MOST important feature is
bookmarks. Bookmark everything you might possibly need in the future. Hint:
Establish a naming convention for your bookmarks and use it every time. I
recommend using "Article XXX.yy - Name of topic" or "Table XXX.yy - Name of
table". The field is limited in characters so you will have to shorten some
long names. Using this convention makes it a lot faster using the bookmarks
later.

The other piece of advice for using the product I have is to use the
navigation sidebar on the left. Expand the section you think your info is in
until you find it. I find this to be much faster than the search feature in
most cases.

Regarding the "two install" license... I had problems with the 2008 NECH,
too. The main problem is that it's not technically a "two computers"
license. It's a "two downloads" license. Their licensing strategy is to
require that you enter the license key at the beginning of the install
process. When you do that, your computer calls their computer and validates
your key (the download). If you have problems during the initial
installation and "uninstall/reinstall", you just used your second "download"
license. In my case, there was a conflict between my 2005 & 2008, so I
uninstalled 2008 and reinstalled it in a different directory. When I went to
install 2008 on my wife's computer, it kept giving me a "you have exceeded
your license" error.

You have to call their office and explain the situation. The phone number is
on your CD sleeve and I think it also comes up with the error message. They
will either reset your license key or give you another workaround. They were
quite helpful.

Note to anybody using 2008 NECH CD... If you like, I can send you my
bookmarks file and instructions for setting it up on your machine. This can
save you a LOT of time getting up to speed and developing your own from
scratch. Just send me a note offlist if you want it.

Pray for Sun!

-Matt Lafferty from the web