[RE-wrenches] Battery cell shorting

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 20:02:39 PDT 2010

All batteries have a maximum charge rate and that rate decreases as the batteries get charged.  Rapid charging shows up as swelling of the positive plate. Also the rapid charging will cause the plates both to flake off material and this falls to the bottom of the case eventually shorting the plates For good life the battery should not be charged any faster than C/10 or for a T105 about 20 amps. also rapid charging causes a lot of heat and again can effect cases and plates.  The rapid charging at the end of cycle is hard on plates.  After damage has started on a set of plates it seem to go down hill rapidly.  Note that rapid discharge does not have the same effect.  But solar batteries can not be charged rapidly and have good life.  The depth of discharge also effects battery life,

Thes batteries should have a charge controller,

I have a hermit that has lived on 8  Trojan T105s for over 5 years and when I tested them last summer they were still very capable.  They had about 70% of what they had when new.