[RE-wrenches] Supply side connection to a dedicated panel

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 22:24:22 PDT 2010

Dave,

I think you are reading the output current for 277V. The spec sheet lists AC
max output at 240V as 7700W and 32A. If you take that number at face value,
you can still just use a 40A breaker. If you do the math based on their
listed output (7700W/240V=32.1A *  1.25 = 40.1A), you might need to bump up
to a 45A breaker; probably depends on the comfort level of you as the
installer and the AHJ inspecting.

For your main breaker or fuses, I think you could use 125A no matter how you
interpret the required sizes of the inverter breakers; just don't round up
to the next breaker/fuse size until after you have done your calculations
for all three inverters. 7700W * 3 / 240V * 1.25 = 120.3A, so round up to
125A for the breaker size. Your new total input would be 125A+135A = 260A,
which leaves you at the same place: 225A panel based on a b+w reading of
690.64, or a broader interpretation and therefore a smaller panel?

Around the Bay Area, there are some places that would not let us use the
dedicated panel idea, because it is not spelled out clearly in NEC. Other
AHJs are fine with it, especially with permanent signage installed stating
something about 'for combining inverter output circuits only, do not connect
additional loads', etc. If you are a strict code-stitutionalist and go with
the bigger 225A panel, don't forget that the code reads 'bus bar and
conductors', applying to the conductors in between your combiner panel and
your point of connection.

I've had a few drawn out discussions with John Wiles on this issue, and he
always encourages me to use the bigger panel--we do sometimes, not always.
Someone here.... maybe Bill?.... has mentioned a push to get the inverter
combiner panel exception written into NEC, but no luck yet.

Then there is the issue about if the line side of the ATS is rated for you
to tap/lug on, but I'm glad you didn't ask about that one ;)

Phil Boutelle

Project Engineer
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
Real Goods Solar, Inc.