[RE-wrenches] lifting shingles

Matt Lafferty gilligan06 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 08:13:34 PDT 2010

Hi Benn,

2:12 is a really low pitch for comp and "most likely" voided the shingle mfr
warranty. Not to say that it doesn't happen, of course. The primary reasons
that low-pitch applications like this aren't good for comp, are that wind is
more likely to lift the shingle (possibly damaging it) and it's easier for
wind to drive water up under the shingles.

I have run into a couple of 2:12 comp roofs that the roofer actually glued
the shingles together with some kind of construction adhesive. I guess to
prevent the problems with wind. Anyway, there was no way to separate one
course from another without damage to the shingles. The roof was essentially
a single-membrane, monolithic covering. Great as long as you never need to
ad a flashing of any kind.

Thought I'd pass it along. Best of luck!

Solar Janitor

  _____