[RE-wrenches] lifting shingles

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Thu Oct 7 05:04:24 PDT 2010

Hi Benn,

I have never tried a torch on comp. shingles (nor do I believe I should). What I have used, even in freezing Midwest weather, is a heat lamp. When it is windy you need to fabricate/construct some type of "dam/shield" to minimize the wind effect. This technique is potentially even more involved than the torch but certainly less concern about collateral damage. Even more important is to use a flat bar to work your way through the glue strip rather than tug on the shingle itself.

What have you gained with a great solar installation if the end result is a roof leak? I promise you, whatever good the solar elec. or solar thermal brings the owner, that benefit, in the owner's mind, will be lost if you create a roof leak. Moreover, the roof leak may not be readily apparent in the living quarters until some time after the fact.

There are a number of new mounting products on the market today, hopefully all better mousetraps.

Good luck.

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar