[RE-wrenches] Affordable, Quality Thermometer

tump at hughes.net tump at hughes.net
Fri Oct 1 03:25:12 PDT 2010

Contact Onset Hobo instruments, www.onsetcomp.com on the Cape in Mass. They have quite an assortment of hi grade instrumentation AND are good folks to deal with.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: "Peter Parrish" <peter.parrish at calsolareng.com>
Sender: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:08:25
To: 'RE-wrenches'<re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
Subject: [RE-wrenches] Affordable, Quality Thermometer

I have been looking into the possibility that a relatively new weather
station in the Los Angeles area -- a RAWS station to be precise -- is
consistently recording temperatures about 5 deg F higher than actual. I have
been basing my opinion using a standard Hg/glass thermometer and a IR gun.
Both of my units usually agree to within 1 degree (rarely 2 degrees).

What I would like to know is if there is an affordable "gold standard"
thermometer out there for purchase. Presumably its calibration would have to
be traceable to a NIST standard of some sort. I am looking for less than +/-
1 deg F resolution and accuracy. The temperature range I am primarily
interested in is 70 deg F to 115 deg F, and 15 deg to 70 deg F would be
icing on the cake.

I would settle for something that I could read and record the data by hand.
If there was a version that had a interface to a laptop or smart phone would
be great

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D., President
California Solar Engineering, Inc.
820 Cynthia Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90065
CA Lic. 854779, NABCEP Cert. 031806-26
peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Ph 323-258-8883, Mobile 323-839-6108, Fax 323-258-8885