[RE-wrenches] WEEBs, codes, and standards

Brian Wiley btw at we-llc.com
Mon Sep 13 14:10:08 PDT 2010

  Wrenches,

Please allow me to add my views.

The NEC clearly spells out acceptance of the WEEB. In addition, the WEEB
parts are listed to the standard for grounding and bonding, ANSI/UL 467,
by Intertek ETL.
The problem is that some are not satisfied that this meets all the needs
of an outdoor DC installation like PV.

Since ANSI/UL1703 (Standard for Flat-plate Photovoltaic Modules and
Panels) does not cover grounding components or racking, UL has decided,
in effect, to make the module manufacturers responsible for PV grounding.
They have added their own test requirements (which are not part of 1703
or any other standard) for modules submitted to them, one of which is
that the module manufacturers must approve every piece of grounding
equipment they want to have used with their modules. They must submit
these grounding components for testing with the module. Only UL listed
grounding components may be submitted to UL.
Intertek ETL has also followed this non-standard testing, but allows any
listed grounding components to be used. I do not know the policy of CSA
or TUV.
Testing a product without application of an ANSI or other consensus
standard actually violates the OSHA requirements for an NRTL, but I have
been reluctant to be the one to point this out to OSHA.

As you can imagine most module manufacturers do not want to pay to have
every piece of grounding equipment tested and so have generally only
picked a few methods to be approved for their installation manual.
Ironically, as Bill Brooks pointed out, some of the methods which have
been approved violate the listing of the specified grounding equipment.

The Department of Energy has funded the SolarABCs to address these types
of problems, but thus far have ignored this one.
In general, I find wrenches to be under represented in these types of
standards and code discussions.
If you would like your opinion to be heard, please feel free to copy
your posting to Larry Sherwood, Project Administrator of the SolarABCs,
at larry at sherwoodassociates.com
<mailto:larry at sherwoodassociates.com>This e-mail address is being
protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Best Regards,
Brian Wiley
Wiley Electronics LLC