[RE-wrenches] Apparent Micro Inverters

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Sep 4 20:04:50 PDT 2010

If its a large commercial array, I would consider using larger centralized inverters, and then monitor with National Semiconductor's Solar magic monitoring system. It has string level current taps, so (theoretically at least) you could see a single module failure by the reduced string output.
I like the idea of medium sized inverters to take each subarray that has a different orientation.
Solar PRo magazine had a great article comparing centralized inverters to multiple smaller units. (Dec/Jan 2009)
My ideas on this are still under development though. There are many factors to consider, and different projects will have different best solutions.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer