[RE-wrenches] RFI from MPPT Charge Controllers

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 17:24:31 PDT 2010

Larry,

As you've already surmised, all switchmode units generate RFI.  The usual steps apply:  1) Move the radio antenna as far from the controller as possible; 2) Use coax for the feedline; 3) A set of high-current chokes on the MPPT input and output, connected right at the unit will help (along with appropriate bypass caps); 4) Shield the unit (Faraday shield), then thoroughly ground the shield.  #1 is your best bet, but nothing is going to completely eliminate the noise.

Dan