[RE-wrenches] phase issues with SB8000US

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 31 07:12:58 PDT 2010

It sure sounds like the surge is pushing the voltage around.  I susspect that the AC is causing voltage sag and the UPS is tripping off this low voltage.  I thought if the SB8000 used a neutral connection it was not supposed to get pushed off center.  The most puzzeling thing is why did it not do this before?
Perhaps the UPS is just set to sensitive, it needs replacement?
1) Are the AC and the UPS pluged into the same outlet as before?
2) Is it possible some breakers were moved to install the SB and at that time the AC got put on the same leg ac the UPS?
3) Get a plug-in circuit tested and test the line impedence.  (this is a tester that puts small surges on the line and tells if the circuit impedence is sufficently low.) I think they go by the name circuit quality tester.
4) Look at the service connections, is there any discoloration? signs of heating?
5) use your "Fox and Hound" to trace the outlets back to the service panel and identify the breakers and Legs of the AC and UPS
6) Test the line voltage with the AC on and off to see if it is low.
7) Use you Max Min on your voltage meter to test the volt drop during start up.

 I have seen things on standalone like this, but one would assume the grid would stabilize the voltage.  I have seen burned panels and lugs and meter socket burning due to line connections.

If the UPS and the AC were on different legs, The AC load could drop the voltage but the UPS would not sense this being on the other leg.  Perhaps the SB is causing both legs to drop.  Ask SB if it is OK to disconnect the neutral, keep the ground.
Darryl