[RE-wrenches] Inverter Harmonic Distortion

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 19:18:23 PDT 2010

Hello August,

The UL 1741 safety standard for grid-tied inverters, which incorporates numerous other standards by reference, limits the total allowable harmonic distortion of grid-tied inverters to a maximum of 5%.  This value is based on a complex formula and several external variables under various operating conditions, so a simple "5% or less" doesn't completely define the actual overall specification, but it's close enough for discussion purposes.

Dan