[RE-wrenches] roof noise after solar install.

Ken Schaal ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Mon Aug 30 12:42:38 PDT 2010

Interesting issue and another reason to be grateful for this list-------

As an old thermal wrench that has had to do too many collector remounts for
re-roofing, and have no desire to see this happen with PV--Well, the horse
is out of the barn, isn't it?-- we take appropriate measures to avoid re-
roof remounts. One such measure recently done on an older roof in excellent
condition, for a 15' x 22' array on a 42' long house, was to coat the
shingles with aluminum asphalt, Karnak #97, which greatly reduces heating of
the roof shingles, deck, attic, air handler/ductwork, and rooms  below. Now
I realize that this may provide a degree of  insurance to prevent
expensive--aren't they all ! -- callbacks. Granted it's not a solution for
all esthetic situations, but it actually came out looking pretty good. Most
folks seeing it for the first time thought it looked more white to
blue-white, as it reflects the sky color.Keeps the second floor in this 1
1/2 story Cape a lot cooler too !

Also should extend the life of the shingles, indefinitely if recoated every
10 years. So no remount for my successors-----they'll have to earn their
keep with new panels!

And Dr Cho approves,  I'm certain !

Stay out of the Hot Sun