[RE-wrenches] Power Loss from Dust on PV Modules

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Tue Aug 24 14:19:33 PDT 2010

Here's a wild notion -  if you're o-t-g perhaps it is best to not clean your modules all summer! I increased my array size last winter (doubled it) and this, my 1st summer, I've found that I'm in float for at least 4 hours/day so I decided to not clean my modules here in the dusty mountains and they are getting VERY dirty and power is down about 20% and dropping. My point is that my modules now have "Ray Bans" on, although they don't look cool I expect a slight reduction in module degradation over the years this way. I save a wee bit of time, water and effort in return for longer module life and the down side is what, I still can make more power than I can use? I must admit that looking at filthy modules is not easy and goes against all my solar upbringing but I'm adapting quickly to one less chore in this "simple living" life!

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions
Obama Urges Homeowners to Refinance
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4c7437bea17ac83af2dst03vuc