[RE-wrenches] Plug-in solar

Dan Fink danbob at hughes.net
Sun Aug 22 19:55:10 PDT 2010

Don't Panic, as the cover of Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide says. Plus
I suspect Mr. Welch our esteemed moderator will move this thread to
another board shortly anyway.

The whole Clarian thing looks entirely like premature exclamation by a
PR department, prodded by a businessman who knows nothing about solar,
wind or the NEC codebook, but is trying to get Google to fund his
venture if he can win a contest. The PV modules and circuitry "will be"
UL listed--they are not now, and any DIY project that feeds the grid
without meeting NEC code or being inspected by the utility is an illegal
"guerrilla" installation as previously mentioned here. Clarion's
rooftop wind stuff is laughable, defies the laws of physics. And so on.

Strange, I got my Journalism degree in 1989 --I seem to remember that
lesson One that corporate Flacks are supposed to learn in J-school is
that, just like with stand-up comedy,  timing is everything -- if it all
happens too soon, before all the hardware is ready, nobody gets
satisfied on either end.

DAN FINK
Buckville Energy Consulting LLC
danfink at buckville.com