[RE-wrenches] AL wire with DC

Drake Chamberlin drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Jul 26 17:52:02 PDT 2010

Aluminum wire got its bad name during the era when it was use in 15
and 20 amp circuits, with #12 and #10 wire.  That stuff is a
nightmare.  As an electrician that has cleaned up some of the messes,
I can supply ample horror stories.

#2 and larger sizes of AL work fine.  It is important to use
antioxidant on the connections.  Separate copper wire from aluminum
using a listed splicing device.

Aluminum wire will turn to white powder in an underground cable where
the insulation has been breached.  This is true for DC or AC.

  At 05:51 PM 7/26/2010, you wrote:
>I have used AL wire in DC circuits for 30 years and have never had a
>problem. If you carefully follow the protocols for working with AL
>you should have the same experience. As pointed out the cost
>difference can be staggering. I'm designing an o-t-g 3kW PV system
>now that has this array 1300' from the batteries, AL is the only
>reasonable answer.
>

> From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff
> Oldham/Regenerative SOLutions

>List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org