[RE-wrenches] Congested Panel Problem

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Mon Jul 26 12:54:21 PDT 2010

Peter,

You can address the inspector's first complaint by pointing to the new
language (NEC 2008) in 690.64(B)(2):

"In systems with panelboards connected in series, the rating of the first
overcurrent protection device directly connected to the output of a
utility-interactive inverter(s) shall be used in the calculations for all
busbars and conductors."

This states that only the 20A breaker should be counted, the breaker
directly connected to the inverter. Even if the AHJ has not adopted the 2008
Code, you may be able to get this accepted. This change to the Code is
basically intended to eliminate confusion in the earlier cycles.

BTW: what 20A breaker did you find that was rated for continuous duty?

Best, David