[RE-wrenches] How to evaluate chinese PV modules?

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Mon Jul 26 10:18:02 PDT 2010

Props to Charlie for stating these issues clearly & fairly. There are too
many new manu's for me to sort through so I typically delete/spamreport all
offers from unknown/chinese sources. That's the "knee jerk reaction" that
Charlie mentions, but it's only partly due to anti-communism. It's also due
to information overload.

As a small timer, I am not likely to import for myself from Asia so one
thing I would look for is American based warehousing  & distribution...and
American based warranty procedures. Can I trust that my "big name"
wholesalers would not hitch their corporate wagons to a manu which does not
have the technical chops or financial staying power? Maybe...maybe not.

The wholesale distributors would do well to develop a list of whys &
wherefores about their alliance with a particular Chinese PV manu...not for
broadcast to the Wrench List but for helping their dealers to feel OK about
the latest product offering.

Come to think of it, an annual report on all their PV manus du jahr would be
a good thing, because the biz landscape can shift, right?

Jolliness~

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675