[RE-wrenches] line-side tap in subpanel

R Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jul 22 14:12:23 PDT 2010

It would depend on which side of the OCD the 380 amp rated cable was on. IF the 400 A OCD is integral to the panel, then it doesn't matter what the cable size is on the other side of the OCD, it's protected by the OCD, and the current can't exceed that. If the OCD is remote and the subpanel doesn't have a main OCD, then technically you'd have to do the calculations at 380 amps.
In most cases, though, the cable would never see additional current, unless a 2nd subpanel were being fed by it.
Basically look at the circuit, and see if there is any point that could be fed by more current than the OCD rating. If so, apply the 120% rule for that entire section ( buss bar & conductors). Most points in the circuit though, will actually see a reduction in current, thanks to the PV backfeed.
Funny we get penalized for adding PV, but don't get any code benefits from reducing current at other points.

R. Walters
ray at solarray.com
Solar Engineer