[RE-wrenches] Propane Generator, Dual Outback Inverters

Jason Szumlanski Jason at fafcosolar.com
Thu Jul 22 08:23:59 PDT 2010

I should have been a bit more clear about my application. I'm not
worried about battery charging rates or load percentage on the
generator. I've already determined that this size generator will
normally run at a good efficiency level. I am more concerned with the
quality, longevity, and enclosure. I have a couple of applications in
mind, but my immediate need is for a mobile environment. The generator
might be subject to some degree of road spray and it will be used in a
near-ocean environment.

I've had some good and bad experiences with gas gennys. Someone
recommended an Onan, a brand I swore never to use again after I replaced
a $700 controller three times in a year (at my cost) and Onan was zero
help in trying to diagnose the problem. They tried to blame it on
surging when the inverter/chargers kicked in. Anyway, I'd be willing to
try again if I get some good feedback. Cost is always an issue, and I
know the Onan's can be pricey.

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar