[RE-wrenches] battery boxes...and conductor bundling

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 18:08:33 PDT 2010

Off hand, I can think of two components to this -- conductor heating, and
noise/impedance.  From a conductor heating POV, the NEC is fuzzy on specific
distance but the general rule is to not bundle conductors for lengths
greater than 18', or standard derates would need to be applied.  With the
costs of copper, I think you'd want to avoid unnecessary increasing of cable
size wherever possible.

>From a noise and impedance POV, I'd ditto what William Miller says but add
twisting the cables if possible, and with the possible additional caveat of
conductors of opposite polarity *serving the same device*.  In most systems
the DC negative (usually) conductors are common and therefore this might be
moot, but it is theoretically possible to have a system with discrete
components and discrete conductors.  (Not sure what that system would look
like, but just thinking out loud here...)  In any case, in such a system
bundling the positive of one inverter with the negative of another inverter
probably won't have the positive impact desired.

Phil Undercuffler