[RE-wrenches] LIGHT GAUGE IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE

Philip Boutelle philboutelle at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 23:26:50 PDT 2010

Dana,

It looks like the LightGauge is available only to their customers, similar
to how we at Real Goods only offer our in-house monitoring system, PVWatch,
to our customers. However, the LightGague is really a re-branded eGauge, and
you can get an eGauge with all the same functionality as the LightGauge for
any system. Or any solar integrator or RE parts distributor could apply
their private label to an eGauge (both the device and the website/LAN
interface) and have their own in-house monitoring system, just like
Lighthouse Solar did.

On the accuracy, I asked eGauge why they aren't revenue grade, and the
answer is cost: about $50k to get certified when they looked into it, which
would take a small company a long time to recoup. But he thinks it would
pass the test/be within 2%, as long as the CT ratings are matched as close
to the measured load as possible. If they can get a significantly cheaper
certification test, they will jump at it.

I know I plug this device a lot; I don't work for eGauge, but I'm a huge fan
of the product. The only major downside: high cost, especially with the new
inexpensive ENVI available (not an apples to apples comparison, as the
eGauge provides greater functionality, but at maybe 4 times the cost of an
ENVI).

-Phil
Real Goods Solar